Monday 21 January 2008

Listen your Inner Guide

Each of us has had this experience: we knew something was going to turn out a certain way, but we didn’t listen to that gut instinct and it cost us. Maybe we missed out on an opportunity, or we had to dig ourselves out of some kind of mess. But we’ve all done it.
The other day I caught myself ignoring my inner guidance. I didn’t quite catch it as early as I’d have liked, however. I spent an entire weekend working on a series of articles for a website. Somewhere inside I just knew it wasn’t the right kind of content. But I didn’t want to admit to myself that I was wasting my own time, so I kept trying to tweak the wording to force what I was writing into a better fit. I probably got a third of the way through what I was trying to accomplish when I couldn’t take it any more. I stopped myself (not easy!) and sent in what I had already written to the editor to check that I was going in the right direction. When I got his reply I “hid” from it for a little while, not wanting to even open it, because I already knew what it was going to say.


It was a frustrating little tug-o-war with my ego, but it was progress. At least I stopped, right? And it helped me to get more clarity on where I should have been going in the first place. After the fact, I do feel good about the experience. But, boy! It was excruciating witnessing myself struggle through it.

So who else is making progress out there? Are you someone who enjoys the learning process of self-help concepts and techniques, but who then looses steam when it comes to practicing what you’ve learned? It’s always fun to get a new book or DVD, or to attend a seminar and spend time thinking and talking about all of this stuff. But putting it into practice is a whole different ball game.

www.shashionline.in

Featured Post

Katihar - कटिहार

कटिहार अक्टूबर महीना म अस्तित्व म पचास साल पहले अइले छेलै, मतलब दु अक्टूबर के पचासवाँ स्थापना दिवस मनैलके। कटिहार र साहित्य, संस्कृति आरू इत...